Sunday, October 4, 2009

Oh the Beautiful Words of Poetry

So here I am, Week 5. I cant believe how fast these weeks are just flying by. I can't even catch my breath. Well, a new week has begun and the class is now on the topid of POETRY! Yea, not really so much the poet. So I was a little worried to see if I could pull of a good enough piece that my teacher, classmates, and myself woule be proud of. Professor Simpson had an interesting assignment that she had prepared for us. We had markers, tape, colored paper, and the FGCU Eagles Newspaper sitting infront of us. Our task was to pic out any artice from the paper, circle and underline words or phrases (randomly), and put those words together to cret a poem. I though to myself, "This can't be too hard...Piece of cake!" But I was sooooo wrong. The picking out the words part was easy, but when I came time to put it all together, it made no sense what so ever! So I tried to add a few words here and there to maybe help it flow better, but no, that didn't help. So i mean I guess I did the best I could even though it made NO SENSE! But it was fun to cut out pictures and decorate the paper around where I had pasted it. When I came home that day, I looked at the assignments that were due for Wednesday of that same week. It said we had to write a ballod. Is this a joke? I could maybe rhyme words like Dr. Seuss, but nothing that I could potentially put music behind. Our ballad had to me on a love murder case. So I found a pretty interesting one about Dominique Dunn. It was hard to get the ballad going at first but once I got past the first few lines it was smooth sailing..... I was actually very proud of my end result and I hope the teacher and students were as well. But to add to the stress level, I also had to finish my first paper =/. But because I still had some tweeking to do, I had a little extra time to make sure it was just PeRfEcT! Whoo this was definitely a crazy week. I'm just glad it's over....



BALLAD:
This is the sad tale
Of Dominique Dunn
A beautiful young actress
Who dies much too young

She was a good friend
Who was kind to all
But fate saw it different
And her life took a fall

It was love, she would say
With John Sweeney, the chef
Then abuse came too often
So she ran, yes she left

But the break was too much
For this chef, we can tell
For an argument ensued
Strangling her till she fell

In a coma she stayed
For a long, long 6 days
Her family knew she
Would, at best, live in haze

So they pulled all the plugs
Her life came to an end
The finale of kindness
The finale of a friend

John Sweeney admitted
The fate he had brought
Received 6 years in prison
But a lifetime was fought

In just 2 ½ years
He was free once again
As a man, as a chef
But where was our friend?

She will never be free
To move on in our world
But her memory will live
As long as any spoken word

Life has its own way
Of changing all paths
So be kind, be a friend
With much love and much laughs

1 comment: